Two days. Two program-changing commitments.
Right on the heels of De’Jon Jerreau and Brison Gresham’s decision to play at UMass instead of Miami, Chris Baldwin, a top recruit from Springfield, MA also verbally committed to play for Coach Kellogg next season.
Here’s what this means for UMass:
- The dominoes are falling. Clearly De’Jon and Brison were a huge factor in convincing Chris Baldwin to stay in the pioneer valley.
- The Minutemen now have two 3 star and two 4 star recruits in their 2016 class. This is by far DK’s best work.
- According to 247 Sports, Coach Kellogg’s recruiting class is now ranked #17 in the country. That’s up from #50 just a few days ago. With one more roster spot to work with, we could potentially see UMass in the Top 10 in the not too distant future.
- Baldwin is the #2 ranked recruit in Massachusetts and now all eyes are on #1, Bruce Brown. He has a strong relationship with coach Kellogg and is the obvious choice to fill the Minutemen’s remaining roster spot. He would be the final piece that rounds out the UMass Fab Five. Brison knows it too.
@BruceBrown11 all we need is you!!!!
— Brison Gresham (@bri_son32) September 28, 2015
- A while ago we wrote a story about how UMass was failing to attract top Massachusetts talent. It appears that the drought has ended. It would have been disappointing to see a guy who grew up in the shadow of UMass go out of state to play ball
- This is a huge win for DK and his staff. De’Jon, Brison and Chris have each said that it was the character of the coaching staff that convinced them to play for UMass.
- Huge props to assistant Coach Adam Ginsburg, who Chris mentions by name in his announcement. His claim to fame used to be recruiting J.J. Barea to Northeastern. Now it can be getting Chris Baldwin to UMass.
— Lucky (@ChrisBaldwin413) September 29, 2015
- Today was another stressful day for UMass fans, but I think we are all happy to see things going Coach Kellogg’s way.