UMass completed the rare non-conference dual-sport season sweep of the Wagner Seahawks with a 62-55 win. Those of you who follow football will remember that the Minutemen beat Wagner on the gridiron earlier this fall as well. It was another tight game, but a few unlikely heroes stepped up to fill the spotlight.
- I continue to be impressed with the progress Malik Hines is making on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. He’s giving the team quality minutes and is learning to use his size to his advantage, especially with the rock in his hand. Great to see some emotion out of him too.
- Debut tonight for B(r)ison Gresham. Not much to speak of, but he got a nice hand from the crowd.
- Poor three-point defense from UMass, which allowed Wagner to hang around all game.
- A nice positive to take away from this game was the reaction of the guards after the Minutemen gave up a few points in a row. When Wagner put on a little run, UMass would play tight one-on-one defense on the ball handler and force a Seahawks turnover.
- Wagner’s go-to defensive move appeared to be the attempted kick ball. I haven’t seen so many swings and misses since Mark Bellhorn played for the Sox!
- The fact that the Mullins Center experienced a rain delay during the middle of the basketball game is both sad and rather hilarious. A leaky roof is just a classic UMass problem. I’m sure the administration thought that would end once they stopped playing games in the Cage.
- UMass still doesn’t have anyone who can regularly make a mid-range jumper. Ty Flowers might be the guy to do it, but he loves taking threes too much.
- Never seen so many travels in one game. Someone needs to teach these kids some fundamentals!
UMBR Game Ball
It has to be CJ Anderson! Is that his first UMBR Game Ball? I can’t remember but probably is. A career high in points (19), CJ really put the team on his back. He took a leadership role on the floor, which has been a gaping hole this year as we’ve reported. The UMass faithful would love to see CJ keep up this pace.
UMBR Dunce Cap
Zach Lewis again. The dude is in a funk. And not the funkalicious kind.
UCF travels up to Amherst for a Saturday afternoon tilt. The Knights are 5-1 on the year, including a win against Mississippi State. Hopefully that means nothing considering UMass’ loss to Ole Miss.
Throwback Fun Fact: Because this one from last year was so incredible.
Before they were the Knights, UCF’s mascot was the “Citronaut”, a strange combination of an Orange and an Astronaut.