At large tournament bid hopes are dashed after back to back road losses to Rhody and VCU. The 72-78 loss at VCU stings because the Minutemen were only a few plays away from stealing a win. As it stands UMass probably will not get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament and will instead have to win the A10s.
Knee Jerk Reactions
- VCU proved once again how difficult it is to win on the road. The VCU crowd was so loud that they actually fooled UMass with the fake shot clock buzzer.
- Four turnovers each for Jabarie and Trey. Somebody needs to take care of the ball! Jabarie has shown flashes of brilliance, but he is very careless and easily loses control. Trey seems to play better off the ball when he can come off screens for three points shots or driving lanes. Right now, UMass is missing a true point guard.
- Don’t look now, but UMass recruit Luwane Pipkins (PG) helped his team win the Chicago city championships over the weekend with 19 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.
- The VCU game could have gone a lot differently if the starters had come out of the gate playing with intensity. Clark and Esho especially did not have their normal energy.
- Luckily, Jabarie Hinds and Demetrius Dyson were great off of the bench. Dyson was the hero of the first half, while Hinds exploded in the second.
- Unfortunately, it was too little, too late. Davis hit a couple big threes in the closing minutes, but the Minutemen could not overcome the first half turnovers.
- I had a victory tweet all queued up that went along the lines of “VC-Who?” I guess that one will have to wait for the A10 Tournament.
- Right now, UMass is only two games out of first place and one game out of the top four. Remember, the top four seeds get a double bye and historically no team out of the top four wins the A10 Tournament
- Wednesday’s game against St. Joseph’s is even more important now that UMass needs to get into the top four to have a chance at a return to the big dance.
- If you want to catch that game live, cheap tickets (better than the box office) can be found at Ticket Monster.
Bad Stat of the Game
19 Turnovers for UMass. Some of those can be attributed to VCU’s “Havoc” defense, but many of them were just poor offense by UMass. One that comes to mind is Derrick Gordon losing control of the ball and pretty much throwing it out of bounds. You can’t make mistakes like that against VCU.
UMBR Game Ball
Demetrius Dyson gets the game ball for having his first career double-double and providing a spark off the bench in the first half. He scored 12 points and added 10 rebounds, 6 of which were on the offensive glass. He also had an insane put back dunk off of a missed Cady Lalanne jumper. His most impressive stat, though, was 29 minutes and no turnovers.
UMBR Dunce Cap
The Dunce Cap goes to Maxie Esho. For the second game in a row, the senior did not perform to his best potential. His size and athleticism is hard to beat, but lately he has been ineffective. Hopefully he can regain his form as we approach the most important part of the season.