New year, new me, new season of A10 basketball! Unfortunately nothing new from the Minutemen as they fell to the Bonnies for the 6th time in the last 8 meetings (including both games last season). This time around UMass couldn’t overcome the high scoring duo of Jalen Adams and Matt Mobley.
Knee Jerk Reactions:
- Sloppy start for the Minutemen. Holloway went to the bench early with a couple of quick fouls and then there were the turnovers. Jalen Adams is too good to give the Bonnies free possessions.
- Holloway, CJ, Donte, and Lewis orchestrated a great rally midway through the first half. Some beast work by Holloway in the paint, a couple of very pretty layups by the guards, a steal off the inbound and a Lewis three pointer brought the Minutemen back. When these guys are clicking they are a blast to watch!
- Hate to see players ejected but you can’t deny the passion of the A10! There were double technicals from punches thrown between Ayeni and Gresham (two freshman) and it seems the St. Bonaventure / UMass rivalry resets for another four years!!!
- Jaylen Adams is really good at basketball. As a college hoops fan I hope St. Bonaventure gets a few March Madness games because he could become one of the great tournament underdogs. Great shooter and lighting quick. 19 points in the first half!
- Vintage UMass finish to the first half letting up a huge Bonnies run to enter halftime down 8.
- This game was a rude but necessary awakening for the freshman of the team after a pretty easy non conference schedule. It seems it’s going to take a bit to adjust to A10 play. In general the guards in this league are fast, sure handed, and lights out shooters.
- Having said that, great games from both Ty Flowers and Baldwin in the second half. They refused to give up and played hard to the buzzer.
- Donte Clark might be the best garbage time player in UMass history.
UMBR Game Ball
It’s hard to give a game ball in a bad home loss, but let’s give it to Chris Baldwin. He was close to his first career double-double and made the most of his 12 minutes on the floor.
UMBR Dunce Cap
The dunce cap will be shared by Luwane Pipkins and Bison Gresham. Luwane gets his share because of a terrible shooting night. Normally when his shots aren’t falling he finds a way to contribute in other ways. That didn’t happen this time around. He seemed discouraged and off his game. Bison gets his dunce cap for getting himself ejected early in the game.
Up Next: George Mason
The Minutemen start a tough road stretch when the head to George Mason today. The Patriots are a surprising 10-4 and had won 9 in a row before losing their A10 opener to VCU. It’s always tough to play at Mason, but this could be their best chance for an early win as their next three games are at VCU, home vs Dayton and at Rhode Island. The schedulers did not do UMass any favors this season!