Donte Clark was almost the hero we needed him to be. His corner three bounced straight up off of the rim and somehow dropped to tie the game but the minutemen couldn’t come up with a defensive rebound and UCF sunk the game winner with half a second left.
The Minutemen are now 5-2 with both of their losses coming from a last second offensive rebound by the opposition.
Knee Jerk Reactions
- The most exciting part of this team is that you never know which player is going to go off. We’ve seen it be Jarreau, Anderson or Clark already this season. Against UCF it was Ty Flowers. He blew up for 20 points and 9 rebounds – close to his first career double-double.
- Ty Flowers hit 6/10 three pointers. The rest of the team was 4/28
- CJ Anderson followed up his amazing performance against Wagner with zero points against UCF. But he still managed to make an impact. When the shots weren’t falling, he focused on defense and feeding his teammates. 8 assists from CJ shows his growth as a player
- Pipkins should take notes. His shots weren’t falling either, but instead of changing his game (maybe looking to drive or pass first) he continued to heave up bad looking threes early in the shot clock. 2/12 from three is not going to cut it.
- With his 7 steals Luwane moved into number 1 in the country in steals with 4 steals per game.
- It seems like one of the reasons the Minutemen took so many threes was because of 7’6″ Tacko Fall. He had sixteen rebounds but more importantly guarded the paint for almost the entire game. I would have liked to see UMass attack the basket a bit to see if they could get him into foul trouble. Instead they settled for long jumpers.
- It was a nice surprise to have Jarreau back so soon. Good to see DK easing him back into the lineup. He didn’t look 100% ready to be back which might explain why he only played a few minutes.
UMBR Game Ball
The obvious choice for game ball is Ty Flowers. He finally showed what he is capable of from the three point line. I’m excited to see how he uses his shooting ability to change up other parts of his game. Once he gets a bit bigger and stronger, he can use his length (everybody knows you can’t teach length) to do work in the lane.
UMBR Dunce Cap
The Dunce Cap goes to Malik Hines. He looked rattled out there against Tacko Fall and never got into a groove due to foul trouble. I’m hoping for a bounce back game for him against Pacific.
Next up: Pacific
The Pacific Tigers play in the West Coast Conference (think Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and BYU) and are not having a great season so far. A win against Pacific would go a long way in rebuilding the Minutemen’s confidence before a huge game against Providence next weekend.
Fun Fact: The University of the Pacific is the oldest university in California – founded in 1923!
Funner Fact: Pacific is located in Stockton, California which is tied with Montgomery, Alabama as the most obese city in the country (source). Hopefully they don’t gobble up too many rebounds…